Last night as I watched the Women’s National Championship game I was intrigued by the multitude of match ups prevalent in the game. The giant killer Mississippi State (who knocked off UConn) and the juggernaut South Carolina Lady Gamecocks were going to square off for the third time of the season. Several factors made this game unique:
- Both teams were from the same conference. It happens sometimes but very rarely do you get teams who are from the same conference in a National Championship game.
- Mississippi State has never won a national championship of any kind in any sport.
- South Carolina had never won a women’s national championship.
- Both coaches were competing to win their first ever national championship.
- Dawn Staley was trying to become the second African-American female to ever win a national championship in women’s hoops.
I was excited for both teams but the fact that Dawn Staley was coaching the Gamecocks Continue reading